gh-link EMV Card, is Ghana’s domestic card payment scheme launched by the Ghana Interbank Payment & Settlement System (GhIPSS) Limited in 2012. It was to fulfil the Central Bank’s vision of offering a secure domestic card scheme, tailor made for Ghanaians. The Card scheme rides on the gh-link platform; a system which interconnects all banks and financial institutions in Ghana.
The name gh-link is derived from the words “Ghana link” and “Card”. It is a card scheme designed by a Ghanaian company for Ghanaians; it rides on a system that connects (links) all Financial Institutions in Ghana; thereby giving customers access to Automated Teller Machines & POSes in the Country. The entire gh-link brand is a secure, convenient ,reliable and competent entity with a strong Ghanaian flavor.
In line with global trend of Countries developing their own domestic card schemes, the gh-link Card has been developed to provide Ghanaians with a secured “home grown” card, that reduces the cost of securing and using an ATM card. Compared to other cards on the market, the cost of using a gh-link card is lower.
The Card again, protects the transaction data of customers; as card transactions are processed in Ghana (not outside of Ghana; as is the case with International Cards)
- gh-link cards are issued by all Commercial banks, ARB Apex Banks and licensed Savings & Loans companies
- gh-link cards are by all ATMs and POS terminals.
- gh-link Cards can be used for online purchase
- All processing of transactions is done within Ghana. This ensures faster transactions as compared to International cards on the market
- In the instances of a chargeback, customers are assured of their funds within a shorter duration, compared to International Card Schemes.
- Transaction fees on the gh-link card is lower as compared to International cards on the market
- * Chargeback: Occurs during ATM transactions. When an account is debited but ATM does not disburse funds.
- Wide Acceptance: gh-link cards are accepted on all ATMs & POS terminals of partner Financial Institutions
- Greater Security: gh-link Cards are chip based with all cardholder information encrypted. A transaction can only be authorized with the correct PIN. This restricts unauthorized use of a gh-link card at both an ATM or Merchant location.
- Safer than cash: Making payments with a gh-link card is safer than cash as funds are taken directly from your bank account.
- Convenient: Cash withdrawal and other ATM transactions can be made at any time of the day offering you 24hr access to your money. Similarly, making payment with the card, can be done at any time of the day
- Extremely Simple: it is simpler than making payment with cash
- Record Keeping: Each purchase or withdrawal is recorded automatically on your monthly bank statement, helping cardholders track and manage their expenses.
- ATM Acceptance: The gh-link card currently has the widest acceptance network in Ghana. Cardholders can use their cards on the numerous ATMs of Member Financial Institutions. All banks, Rural & Community banks as well as Savings & Loans are members of the gh-link Network. This means that their ATMs are available to all cardholders. Customers should look out for the gh-link logo on ATM terminals.
- POS Acceptance: GhIPSS is working with all its partners to ensure the certification of all existing POSes to accept gh-link cards. The gh-link cards are also accepted on the gh-link Hybrid POS; a dual POS for both e-zwich & gh-link cards.
- Ecommerce Acceptance: The gh-link debit card can be used to purchase goods or services from any online platform in Ghana. A 3DSecure online cardholder authentication technology has been instituted to stop fraudulent transactions. Cardholders are therefore assured of maximum security.
The gh-link card supports the following transaction types
- Purchase: gh-link debit card can be used by cardholders for any purchase transactions across Merchant locations and on online platforms.
- ATM Cash withdrawals: gh-link cardholders will enjoy the facilities of withdrawing cash from any ATM across the country.
- ATM PIN Change: PIN change facility will be offered to cardholders across all ATMs.
- ATM Balance Enquiry: gh-link cardholders can check account balance at any ATM location in Ghana
Depending on your bank, there could be other transaction types you can perform with your gh-link Card. Contact your bank for more details.
gh-link Cards are issued by all Banks, Rural & Community Banks as well as Savings & Loans Companies. You may request your bank to issue you a gh-link Card. While filling the card request form, please ensure you select “gh-link Card” as your preferred card scheme.
Currently, there are only gh-link Debit cards. Plans are underway to provide customers with gh-link Prepaid, Contactless and Credit Cards.
Currently gh-link cards are not accepted Internationally. GhIPSS is working with an International Card to develop gh-link Global Card. In order to avoid unwarranted cost, customers who transact business outside of Ghana, can get gh-link cards for their domestic transactions and keep an International card for all their international transactions.
Please contact the banks that issued you the card.