GIP Payment Gateway is a payment solution for online payments. It allows a customer to pay for goods or services online, directly from their account without the use of a card.
This solution leverages the GIP debit solution and requires the customer to present a pre-generated token (OTP) obtained from their bank or a token (OTP) provided to them by their bank during the checkout process, to authorize the debit to their account.
The merchant / biller receives an instant credit of the amount paid. This payment option is suited for large value transactions for example between a manufacturer and a wholesaler or Wholesaler and a retailer since it is an EFT directly from a bank account of the payer to the biller.
The collecting institution must have an online system for completing the order and a check-out to integrate into this service.
Participating banks must have certified with GhIPSS on GIP debit message processing
GIP Online Payment Gateway Enrolment Process
- Financial Service Providers have a responsibility of enrolling their customers for this service.
- Upon completion of registration with Financial Service Providers, the customer and corporate Institution is given a 3-digit code as his/her Customer Identification Value (CIV) similar to CVV in the cards industry. The CIV must be kept secret by the customer and always required when effect a payment on the Gateway. Additionally, the customer can also begin to generate one-time password needed to facilitate online payments.
- At a point of purchase, a Customer/Payer requests for a token(OTP) from their bank
- The bank sends a short-lived OTP to the payer/Customer via: SMS or Email
- Payer /Customer goes to Merchant/biller online system, makes an order and goes to checkout
- Merchant / Biller System Redirects Payer to GIP Payment gateway at GhIPSS where they present their CIV and Token(OTP)
- GhIPSS sends a debit request to Payer’s Bank
- Payer’s Bank sends an approval response to GhIPSS
- GhIPSS notifies Merchant / Biller of transaction success
- GhIPSS sends instant credit to Merchant’s /Biller’s bank